Ankin Law News
October 10, 2014: Howard Ankin spoke at "35 Years of Svengoolie" event. (View Svengoolie Blog Post)
October 8, 2014: Howard Ankin supports Chicago Blackhawks. (View Chicago Blackhawks Promo)
September 20, 2014: Ankin Law Office helped sponsor Soccer Night with the Chicago Fire. (View Photos)
September 17, 2014: Ankin Law Office sponsored a community outreach event. (View Photos)
September 6, 2014: Lily O'Shea, Jill Wagner and Howard Ankin attended the National Women's Teamsters Conference. (View Photo)
September 4, 2014: Members of Ankin Law Office participated in the CVLS Race Judicata 2014. (View Photos)
August 21, 2014: Howard Ankin appeared on Chicago Channel 2 News to discuss charges against Massage Envy. (View Newscast)
August, 2014: Howard Ankin has been selected as a WILG Top 100 Injured Workers' Attorney. (View Letter)
RECENT BLOG POSTS
Recently, Gov. Pat Quinn signed into law the Job Opportunities for Qualified Applicants Act. Commonly...
In the past, lawyers for multiple small companies have accused search engine giant, Google Inc.,...
Over the last year, retailers have experienced data breaches that compromised consumer’s private credit card...
ankin law office llc
162 West Grand Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60654
Toll Free: 800-442-6546
Chicago Gastric Bypass Surgery Malpractice Attorneys
Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Gastric bypass surgery includes a variety of procedures that divides the stomach into a smaller portion to hold and digest food. The goal of gastric bypass surgery is to “shrink” the size of the stomach so that the patient consumes significantly less food to facilitate long-term weight loss.
Types of Gastric Bypass Surgeries
There are various types of gastric bypass procedures, all with the same goal of combating obesity. Two of the most common types of gastric bypass surgery include:
- Adjustable Gastric Banding in which a band is placed around the upper stomach to narrow the passage to the stomach and create a small pouch to hold and digest food.
- Roux en-Y Gastric Bypass in which staples are used to close the stomach and create a small pouch to which the small bowel is directly connected.
Complications with Gastric Bypass Procedures
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved and complications can result. If the doctor or medical staff fails to properly diagnose or treat any complications, medical malpractice may be involved. Some of the more common complications associated with gastric bypass procedures include:
- Stomach Leakage - Because a gastric bypass surgery involves cutting the stomach and bowels, and reconnecting the organs, leakage of the stomach contents into the abdomen can occur if the organs are not connected properly. If stomach contents leak into the abdomen, infection can spread and, if not treated properly, the infection can spread throughout the body and result in serious injury or death.
- Scar tissue – If the scar tissue around the procedure site outpaces the rate the opening is stretched from the passage of food, the opening may become so small that even liquids have a hard time passing through the opening. When this occurs, a balloon may be needed to stretch the opening enough so that food and liquids can pass.
- Hemorrhage – uncontrolled internal bleeding
- Ulcers – erosion of the gastrointestinal tract
- Hernia – protrusion of the stomach or intestine through the abdominal wall
Experience You Can Trust
If you or someone you loved has undergone gastric bypass surgery and experienced serious complications or unexpected results, contact the Chicago gastric bypass attorneys at Ankin Law Offices at (800) 442-6546. Our skilled Chicago medical malpractice attorneys have considerable experience representing the victims of medical malpractice, including gastric bypass malpractice and cosmetic surgery malpractice, obtain the compensation they need and deserve. We are knowledgeable of the legal issues involved and will consult with a team of medical professions to assemble the necessary medical information to support your claim.
Contact one of our Chicago gastric bypass attorneys at (800) 442-6546 to schedule a free consultation to learn more about a possible medical malpractice claim.
You Might Also Be Interested In: