Ankin Law News
August, 2014: Howard Ankin has been selected as a WILG Top 100 Injured Workers' Attorney. (View Letter)
August, 2014: Josh Rudolfi gave a case summary presentation to the Workers Compensation Lawyers Association (View Photo)
August 9, 2014: Ankin Law Office participated in the 85th Annual Bud Billiken Parade. (View Photos)
August 2, 2014: Ankin Law Office lended support to a Chicago Area summer fair. (View Photos)
July 8, 2014: Ankin Law Office offered Worker's Comp advice to union members of Rush Hospital. (View Photos)
June 29, 2014: Ankin Law Staff Participatied in the 45th annual Chicago Pride Parade. (View Photos)
June 3, 2014: Howard Ankin spoke at a Workers' Comp Seminar. (View lecture notes)
March, 2014: Howard Ankin attended a live taping with
Steve Wilkos to produce a new 2014 television
commercial. (View Photos)
RECENT BLOG POSTS
Governor Quinn recently signed the Job Opportunities for Qualified Applicants Act, AKA “Ban the Box,”...
Lawyers for multiple small companies have accused search engine giant Google Inc. of stealing from their clients’ trade secrets.
In the past lawyers for multiple small companies have accused search engine giant Google Inc....
In mid-August Jewel-Osco announced that its computers, containing credit and debit card information, had suffered...
ankin law office llc
162 West Grand Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60654
Toll Free: 800-442-6546
Chicago Gastric Bypass Surgery Malpractice Attorneys
Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Gastric bypass surgery includes a variety of procedures that divides the stomach into a smaller portion to hold and digest food. The goal of gastric bypass surgery is to “shrink” the size of the stomach so that the patient consumes significantly less food to facilitate long-term weight loss.
Types of Gastric Bypass Surgeries
There are various types of gastric bypass procedures, all with the same goal of combating obesity. Two of the most common types of gastric bypass surgery include:
- Adjustable Gastric Banding in which a band is placed around the upper stomach to narrow the passage to the stomach and create a small pouch to hold and digest food.
- Roux en-Y Gastric Bypass in which staples are used to close the stomach and create a small pouch to which the small bowel is directly connected.
Complications with Gastric Bypass Procedures
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved and complications can result. If the doctor or medical staff fails to properly diagnose or treat any complications, medical malpractice may be involved. Some of the more common complications associated with gastric bypass procedures include:
- Stomach Leakage - Because a gastric bypass surgery involves cutting the stomach and bowels, and reconnecting the organs, leakage of the stomach contents into the abdomen can occur if the organs are not connected properly. If stomach contents leak into the abdomen, infection can spread and, if not treated properly, the infection can spread throughout the body and result in serious injury or death.
- Scar tissue – If the scar tissue around the procedure site outpaces the rate the opening is stretched from the passage of food, the opening may become so small that even liquids have a hard time passing through the opening. When this occurs, a balloon may be needed to stretch the opening enough so that food and liquids can pass.
- Hemorrhage – uncontrolled internal bleeding
- Ulcers – erosion of the gastrointestinal tract
- Hernia – protrusion of the stomach or intestine through the abdominal wall
Experience You Can Trust
If you or someone you loved has undergone gastric bypass surgery and experienced serious complications or unexpected results, contact the Chicago gastric bypass attorneys at Ankin Law Offices at (800) 442-6546. Our skilled Chicago medical malpractice attorneys have considerable experience representing the victims of medical malpractice, including gastric bypass malpractice and cosmetic surgery malpractice, obtain the compensation they need and deserve. We are knowledgeable of the legal issues involved and will consult with a team of medical professions to assemble the necessary medical information to support your claim.
Contact one of our Chicago gastric bypass attorneys at (800) 442-6546 to schedule a free consultation to learn more about a possible medical malpractice claim.
You Might Also Be Interested In: